Instagram

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Hank Murrow faceted shino chawan


Here's a Hank Murrow, shino chawan that's been faceted with his special twisted faceting wire, which he also makes and sells. Hank is a wonderful potter from the Pacific North West who has the most beautiful blood red shinos.

Today turned out to be a lazy, vegging out Sunday. Yesterday, I overdid the gardening, working from late morning till 4:30 non-stop, with just a glass of water that Jim brought to sustain me. I got one asparagus trench dug and planted and I hope I didn't plant them too early - should have read the instructions again before planting, especially the part where they said the soil should be 50F before planting! I'll wait a couple of weeks before planting the rest of the crowns. I also got the apricot tree planted, dug up and re-planted a couple of perennials and I had my helper start on weeding one of the beds. She's thorough but worked very slowly, so I helped her to almost finish that bed until my lack of lunch headache begged me to stop and get myself an aspirin.

Before breakfast this morning I loaded the garden cart with the day lilies that I'm going to be dividing and re-planting along with bags of compost and planting mix, shovel and water, then realized I was too wiped to wheel that heavy thing down the driveway 200 -300 feet and too tired to dig holes today. So that will have wait till tomorrow, when hopefully, my 69 year old battery is re-charged.

I did manage to get enough energy to take the dogs for a walk down to the creek, clean up some small broken branches in the meadow, check the fruit trees (some look like they're going to come into leaf any minute!) and do an early search for morel mushrooms; but none were to be found. Maybe after a few days of rain later this week, followed by a few over 40F evening, they should begin to come out of hiding.

The rest of my afternoon has been spent doing some reading about Etsy, which totally confused me and sketching pots.. Now I just have to find time and energy to make them; but with our daughter and son-in-law arriving Tuesday for a five day visit, both gardening and pot making will have to wait. Their visits from Germany usually include a lot of shopping and eating out which I'm looking forward to. The Etsy project will have to wait till my brain isn't as tired and after my next firing and the TRAC tour.

I've got a new, simple, garlic shrimp with basil and cherry tomatoes recipe to make for dinner along with some garlic, butter and olive oil linguine. Pasta is definitely my main comfort food - perfect for how I feel today! Cooking dinner and watching a Netflix historical, foreign film will be it for the rest of the day.

Till later,
June

2 comments:

  1. STOP YOUR KILLING ME WITH THE SHRIMP!!!!!! I LOVE SHRIMP ESP>> THE RECIPE YOU JUST MENTIONED. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. GARLIC SHRIMP (from food network )SERVES 4

    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/4 pounds large shrimp (20 to 25 per pound), peeled and deveined (since it was only for 2 I only used 1 lb and that was plenty).
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1/8 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes, or more to taste
    3/4 cup dry white wine
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
    1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Directions
    Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then saute shrimp, turning over once, until just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a large bowl.

    Add garlic and red pepper flakes to the oil remaining in skillet and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add wine and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Stir in basil and tomatoes and season the sauce with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Return the shrimp to pan and cook just until heated through.
    NOTE: I served this with pasta with garlic and half olive oil, half butter butter and some pepper flakes.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS WELCOME: