Instagram

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Roses, kiln update and orecchiette recipe



Seems like all the roses have decided to bloom! Here's the New Dawn climber on one side of the arbor. Eden is on the other side but isn't blooming yet.
Still waiting for the kiln to cool. The top is just over 400F. When it gets down to 300 I'll open it up a hair. I got a better peek this morning and looks like less reduction kept the oribe green as far as I can see, except for a couple of mugs on the bottom front that look like the oribe just washed out. The flashing slip also looks strange on them. That was the hottest part of the firing, so that extra heat must be the cause since I didn't augment with any wood this firing. I can't wait to see these pots!
Looks like the rain isn't due till this afternoon so I'll get a couple of hours of planting in this morning, then watch the French Open this afternoon while I start on sorting through my various paper piles.
Clay Club has their anniversary bash tonight; but I think I'll probably be too tired to party. I'm still tired from firing week and I haven't even started my day!
Here's the requested recipe for the Orecchiette with broccoli and anchovy, olive oil,hot pepper and garlic sauce.This recipe is from a gem of a cookbook I bought several years ago at one of the wineries in Napa, "Italian Country Cooking" by Susanna Gelmetti.

ORECCHIETTE CON BROCCOLI - SERVES 4 TO 6 (MY NOTE: ONLY SERVES 6 IS THEY HAVE SMALL APPETITES OR YOU ARE ALSO SERVING APPETIZERS, SALAD, ETC)

14 oz Orecchiette or any short dried pasta (small shell pasta works ok if you can't find Orecchiette; but it won't be as firm as the orecchiette.
1 lb broccoli florets, cut into small sizes
6 T Extra virgin olive oil (I use about 7)
1 garlic clove chopped (I use 3-4)
2oz can anchovies in olive oil, drained (I use 2. Jim loves anchovies!)
2 fresh hot red chiles chopped. (If if don't have these I just use dried red pepper flakes for our heat preference)
Fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano, or 4 tsp breadcrumbs fried in about 1 T olive oil until golden. (I use the parmesan)
I add several T of pignoli nuts which Jim likes; but the original doesn't call for these.


Cook the pasta in plenty of salted water till done. In meantime get the broccoli cooked till firm (I steam it while pasta is cooking. Don't overcook because you'll be adding it to the sauce and pasta later and it will heat up more.
While pasta is cooking, in a large, flat pan, heat the olive oil and add the anchovies, peppers or pepper flakes and garlic and saute on low/medium heat. The anchovies will break up as you stir this sauce. Add pignoli nuts if using now and stir. When pasta is al dente, drain and add it and the broccoli to the anchovy sauce. Toss well and serve, topped with the grated parmesan or the toasted bread crumbs. Enjoy!

Till later,
June

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the recipe... sounds delish, and pignoli are a must

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS WELCOME: