Instagram

Monday, June 01, 2009

Kiln put to bed



Kiln is cooling and I'm achy and vegging out this morning. Here's a picture of the kiln at the end of the firing and below is a photo of the readings on the FLuke pyrometers before I started salting. I was dead even in temperatures throughout the firing, thanks to the adjustments I made to bag wall, flues and chimney; but these readings don't match the cones because the pyrometers are not quite at the very top or very bottom. I'll make a few more adjustments before the next firing; but I'm definitely on the right track with the changes I made.
I have a new sprayer that has an automatic recharger so I didn't have to pump it the whole time. It doesn't last for the whole spraying cycle; but you can also hand pump it. I imagine I can buy a second recharger for it. Will have to check into that.
It will take 3 days to cool, so I'm going to take this time to catch up on shopping, do some cooking and gardening.
I did a quick perusal of the garden yesterday while I put down blood meal to keep the bunnies at bay and see that all but two corn plants are gone! I don't know if the bunnies, deer or crows got them, so I'm going to replant and put down some netting this time along with blood meal once they sprout.
Today is a shopping and play day combined after a morning rest and recharge time. I just wish these old knees would stop aching. Cone 6 soda is sounding better every firing; or maybe cone 6 electric will be in order after 70! I don't know how my friend Otto does it - firing his wood kiln, alone, in his 90's - must be those sturdy Finnish genes!

Till later,
June

2 comments:

  1. how's the gardening coming along my indoor roses are doing great but my outside roses are not doing so well those darn gypsy moths are killing my leafs. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The garden is doing well; but I haven't had a chance to do anything but put down some blood meal to keep the bunnies and deer at bay and pull a couple of weeds.
    This morning I'm going to transplant some veggie packs.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS WELCOME: