Instagram

Saturday, September 03, 2011

Social and working day

I'm heading out early to the Farmers market, then on to the Soda Chicks show and sale, then home for a half a day of studio time, then cleanup and heading back to town for the opening at Crimson Laurel.

Yesterday I started waxing some pots, finishing a couple of others and mixing the decorating and flashing slips and getting a table full of pots dipped.

When I got into soda firing, one of the things I was looking forward to was what I thought would be the easier application of flashing slips as opposed to glazes; but I've yet to figure out how to get these pots slipped without having to spend a lot of time cleaning up the flashing slip drips. Dipping or pouring these flashing slips, no matter how thin, or how much I shake the pots, too often results in a few offending drips that have to be cleaned up. Glaze dipping was a lot easier! But I guess there's always a trade off - mixing the flashing slips is a lot easier than mixing and sieving glazes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS WELCOME: