I was given this great bread recipe years ago by a fellow potter. It's a super healthy, heavy bread, full of protein and other goodies. I'm typing it exactly as she gave it to me. I found the wedging instruction charming! Enjoy!
2T of dried yeasat
1 cup lukewarm water
4 cups white unbleached flour
6 cups of whole wheat hard flour
1/2 cup of non-instant powdered milk
1cup fine ground wheat kernels
1cup medium ground whole wheat kernels
3/4 cup whole wheat kernels
4 cups of luke warm water (approximately)
1T (heaping) sunflower seeds
1T (heaping) sesame seeds
1T (heaping) linseeds
2T wheat germ
1tsp vegetable oil
3-4 buttered cake pans
* Since the seeds and wheat germ need to be stored in the refrigerator, they must be allowed to rise to room temperature before using.
!. Mix the white unbleached flour, the whole wheat flour, the non-instant powdered milk, salt and the three types of wheat kernels in a big bow; leave centre free for pouring yeast in.
2. Sprinkle yeast into cup with luke warm water in which 1 tsp of sugar has been dissolved; let yeast dissolve and start bubbling.
3. Add yeast into the middle of the flour mixture; with a wooden spoon mix a little of the flour with the yeast and let rise (15-20 minutes); then gradually add the approximately 4 cups of luke warm water until the dough feels humid and a little sticky after being mixed.
4. With your hands, wedge very thoroughly, approximately 80-100 movements until dough stops sticking to hands
5. Add the sunflower, sesame, linseeds and wheat germ; wedge again until the seeds are well spread.
6.Drip the vegetable oil into the bottom of the bowl and turn the dough ball in it so as to cover it all over with a thin coating of oil; cover bowl with cloth or plastic sheet.
7. Let dough rise approximately double its size; then divide into 3 or 4 buttered cake pans (I think she meant bread pans); cover with cloth or plastic sheet; let rise approximately to double its size again.
8. bake for about 1 hour in 400 -460 degree F.