Instagram

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Carrots Love Tomatoes

Feeling a lot better than yesterday; but still going to take it easy and use the day to plan my garden according to companion planting, moon signs, etc. When it warms by mid afternoon, I think I'll plant some radishes, beets, peas, etc. if I feel OK.

Did you know that carrots love tomatoes, leaf lettuce, onions, leek, etc but don't like cabbage?  Beans like potatoes, but don't like onions or garlic; and pole beans like radishes and lettuce but do not like beet. Do you find this as interesting as I do?  One of my favorite garden books is "Carrots Love Tomatoes" - a great one for companion planting as well as a lot of other valuable formation. Can you tell that I'm excited that spring is on the way!

Yesterday, Jim did yeoman's work, consolidating a lot of boxes and other things in the garage, making more storage space for me. I worked as advisor - the only thing I was up for yesterday, other than a quick stop at the store for more storage boxes, cooking and popping hand fulls of vitamins and cold remedies and liquids the rest of the time. I did manage to put a couple of things away in the studio, and loaded the last pots in the kiln, which I considered a hard day based on how cruddy I felt. Mercifully, I was asleep by 9pm.

This morning I started on my vegetable garden plans, for my two raised beds, and my one earth box, incorporating companion planting and square foot gardening methods. Last year my beds weren't ready till later in the season, so I just popped in what I could; but this year I have time to really plan it well. It was also my first year doing square foot gardening, and this year I'll combine that with the companion planting.

It's going to take me a while to figure this all out since we are now in a slightly warmer zone than our last house and I have to do a bit more research, then make up a planting and feeding schedule for the season. I think it's going to be a good day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS WELCOME: