Instagram

Saturday, October 13, 2012



While the rest of the family was out shopping I actually got enough studio time to make cone packs and  draw rings and wad the soda pots for firing in the tiny soda test kiln. These few pots will be more than enough for that 4 cubic foot kiln and still have room for the cone packs and draw rings.

Now that all the repairs, additions and fixes are done with the house, I'm so looking forward to real studio time; and that will increase once I shut the garden down after the first frost. Meantime, we're still getting a lot of food from our son and daughter-in-laws garden, and the two new raised beds that have only been planted a couple of weeks are doing unbelievably well. Some of the lettuce transplants are already ready for harvesting side leaves, the carrot seeds have sprouted and cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and brussel sprout starters have already doubled in size. Even the lettuce seeds came up quickly and are already a few inches high. I think I'm going to love this square foot gardening method!

I have to stop by Lowes on Monday  and see if they have appropriate metal sheeting, in pre cut sizes that would work as a wind shield around the kiln. The gas company says I have 7" WCP, which is the minimum Olympic says is need to fire to cone 10. So it looks like I'll be ready to go soon!

We got our first rain since spring last night, so I only have to water a couple of pots that are under the eaves. After breakfast we have to drive to our sons place so I can harvest veggies and plant the rest of the garlic.

I took pierogis out of the freezer for lunch and we're going out for dinner and other than that I think we'll just vegg out with our company for the day.

1 comment:

  1. Soda firing sounds exciting, hope it goes well! Im sure it'll feel good to get a bit more studio time going soon : )

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS WELCOME: