Instagram

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Computer woes never seem to be ending

Today I got about 3 1/2 hours of studio time to weigh out more glaze tests; but had to stop to call Dell. My supposedly repaired Dell laptop arrived and it still wasn't working. Fortunately I had a backup battery to at least get it turned on; but it still won't load. So 3 hours later and after being shifted from one tech to another it was determined that I also have a bad ram chip among other things, which makes me wonder why, with all their diagnostic equipment, they couldn't figure that out! So they're sending a tech out to the house as soon as he receives the new chip. Fortunately this 2 year old laptop is under a 4 year warranty which is some consolation. It also helps that I have a one year old HP to work on and a very old Dell desktop that still works.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a full studio day tomorrow to weigh out the last couple of tests for the cone 6 ox firing; and then I'll start sieving them and applying them to the bisqued tiles.I have about 12 or 13 batches that I weighed in the past two days and each of them is going to be dipped on 3 different claybodies, so this will take me another couple of days. I also have to dip a separate group of tiles for cone 6 soda firing; but that one is a few weeks away.

I'm wondering what possessed me to get involved in this; but I think it's because with old age upon me I have to think about other possible directions for my involvement in clay. At this stage, I don't envision my firing a soda kin till 1 am for much longer! So I'm either going to have to switch to cone 6 for that kiln, or look at the possibility of oxidatin firing in a programmable electric kiln, or both. I have to keep reminding myself that I don't have to make pots I like, I just have to like the pots I make! It's a bit difficult even thinking about the possibility of giving up the atmospheric reduction firings. Funny how we get attached to a certain way of working.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS WELCOME: