Monday, April 18, 2011
Post firing baking day
Just took these two loaves of rye out of the oven. It's my first attempt with this sourdough rye starter to make a New York deli type rye. I hope it tastes as good as it smells. It doesn't have that lovely crispy top that you see from the bakeries of my childhood in New York; but I suspect that bit of crispiness was from their wood and coal burning ovens. I did steam the oven for ten minutes with boiling water in a pan before baking and sprayed more water in a few time while baking. I may have to do more next time.
The kiln is cooling nicely. The bottom is 200F but top is much hotter (over 500F). Once the top is around 400F I'll open the peeps. I got some peeks and see that I go some of that crud crawling up some of the pots from the soda/salt, which I normally avoid. I added a bit more salt this time (about 2 1/2 lbs), along with about 2 1/4 lbs of soda solution. It may have been just a bit too much salt, or maybe I went a bit too thin with the alumina on the shelves. The colors look good from what I can see. My celadon liner is reduced enough to have some color and Shane's turquoise looks like it held it's color well. Can't wait to get a better look at all the pots - maybe tomorrow.
Time for a little lunch and then off to plant for a while while my no knead sourdough bread proofs for another 3 hours.