Instagram

Monday, February 14, 2011

Yesterdays roast chicken




Yesterday was mainly a cooking day - making bread and cooking a big dinner. Here are a couple of pictures of yesterday's roast chicken. I start with a bed of chopped onion, apple, carrot, celery,parsley, bay leaf, and juice of one or two oranges. I salt and pepper the inside of the chicken and then add some apple, onion and a wedge of the squeezed orange inside. I place the rest of the orange wedges in with the veggies. The chicken is set on top of the veggies, and then some pale dry sherry is poured over the chicken, and later in the roasting, I pour a bit more (maybe a 1/2 a cup total. I never measure.) The fruit and veggies and sherry make a lovely sauce. When the chicken is done, I cover it loosely with silver foil and let it sit for 10-20 minutes while I strain the bed of veggies, pressing hard on a strainer to extract all the liquid. I remove most of the fat, and reheat the sauce, and pour some over each serving.

My electrician is coming this morning to work on one of the small cone 10 test kilns and my lapidary machine. Since he's been delayed with an emergency job, I'll just head to the studio and get started. Yesterday I reclaimed some of the last of the Helios porcelain, but it's too soft to throw, so I think I'll just make a bridge and let it dry out a bit more while I check the condition of my liner glazes. I think I'm low on one or two of them, so weighing and mixing new and old glazes will be the job for the next day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS WELCOME: