Instagram

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Escarole, sausage, bean and potato soup

Had this  very hearty escarole, sausage, bean and potato soup last night, along with garlic bread. With all the gardening I've been doing it was nice to pull something out of the freezer. Tonight it's leftover roast chicken.

We've had enough breaks in the rain for me to get in a lot of planting time. The past few days I've gotten 42 tomato plants, two types of corn, canteloupe, pickling cucumbers, Italian frying peppers, summer and winter squash, several varieties of hot peppers, bush beans and pole beans, more radishes and some herbs planted as well as various flowers and rose bushes. Needless to say, there's no time for the  studio till it's all planted. The earlier planted cold weather crops are doing well. F

This marathon is going to come to a halt pretty soon because I'm running out of planting space and I'm not about to clear more land! I even planted a few tomatoes among the flower beds today! I just need about two more days to plant a second fig tree, the rest of the veggies, herbs and bedding flowers and then another day or two to feed everything,get a bit more on top of the weeding and clear the porch of all the gardening paraphernalia.

5 comments:

  1. I would LOVE some of that soup right now! It is cold and rainy here and I just can't get warm. Feels like fall is coming back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was like that last night and the soup was perfect. We're going down to 47 tonight so I may bring in some of my heat loving seedlings like basil, okra and eggplant. I hope that's the end of these 40 degree nights. At least we haven't gotten the hail which some people in the area had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Todd Schuster6/5/10, 3:17 PM

    June, that soup looks wonderful. Something to warm you up on a cool fall evening or cold winter night. Where can I get that recipe? Yum.
    Please say hi to Jim. He was terrific on Card Sharks & Sale of the Century. Great host & class act. Best wishes to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll see if I can dig it up. It's a bit warm for that kind of soup right now unless you live south of the equator.:- It's a very rich and hearty soup and I added potatoes to it to make it even heavier; but it makes a nice, one dish supper with some garlic bread that you put under the broiler with some sprinkled, grated parmesan cheese on top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is the recipe I used.

    Potato Sausage and Escarole soup

    * 1 small head escarole
    * 2 cans white cannelini beans drained
    * 1 and 1/2 pounds bulk sweet italian sausage
    * 1 medium potato diced
    * 1 medium onion diced
    * 1 carrot diced
    * 2 cloves garlic chopped fine
    * 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
    * 2 containers of 32 ounce chicken broth (64 oz )
    * 1 cup of water (ME: can sub tomato sauce)


    1. Crumble sausage in olive oil with diced onion, and garlic, saute until sausage is slightly crispy.
    2. Add diced potato, and diced carrot, saute just until tender.
    3. Add drained and rinsed beans, chop escarole and add into mixture.
    4. Pour chicken broth and 1 cup of water into pot. Bring to a fast boil. Turn down to a simmer. Simmer 25 or 30 minutes. Taste, then add salt and pepper. Cool just a few minutes. Serve with a fresh loaf of sliced country bread for dipping

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS WELCOME: