Instagram

Wednesday, July 03, 2013

The waiting game

I've been waiting all day for my new camera to arrive. As of 4 o'clock it hadn't arrived, so I checked the tracking.  It's on the truck to be delivered today. A digital camera in a hot truck, in 100+ degree weather for 9 or more hours is a bit of a concern.

It's been a bit of a cooking day. Got most of my dinner stuff prepped other than coating the oven fried chicken cutlets. I'm also making roast cauliflower, corn and a taste of home grown fava beans. I picked those this morning; and you certainly don't get many beans once you've double shelled them.

I spent the morning looking for some low fat recipes, or at least those using the good cholesterol, like olive oil. Jim is grumbled a little when I put mustard instead of mayonnaise on his turkey sandwich; but with a little, loving, prodding, he succumbed to the healthier choice. This diet change is going to be challenging - not so much with finding recipes, but with dealing with the moaning and groaning from the male member of this partnership.

Our son and daughter-in-law are having a Fourth of July barbecue tomorrow, so I'm sure Jim will be wearing his happy face for  the next two days. Friday is pizza party at their place, so he'll have two days in a row without having to suffer through my new, healthy cooking regime.

Time to pre-heat the oven and get my chicken cutlets coated. After dinner I have some new library books and DVD's waiting to peruse. I'm looking forward to the DVD on Tai Chi for Seniors - sounds like it will be more up my alley than the last Qi Gong video with all the deep knee bends. That's for much younger, less worn knees than mine. If I bent that deeply I wouldn't be able to get up!


 

10 comments:

  1. Have you tried the Best Foods/Hellman's Dijonaise? I have a friend that swears by it.

    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/taste-tests/hungry-girl/mayonnaise-vs-dijonnaise/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it's tasty; but I'm trying to avoid mayonnaise as part of reducing our cholesterol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no mayo in Best Foods/Hellman's Dijonnaise. It's a fat-free Dijon mustard blend.

      Delete
    2. According to their website there is mayon in there. Here's what they say "Dijonnaise
      Best Foods® Dijonnaise™ Creamy Dijon Mustard is authentic Dijon mustard blended with our delicious mayonnaise for a uniquely smooth, real flavorsome taste. What do you expect? It's Best Foods®!"

      Delete
  3. I'm not a big fan of mustard as a condiment ( great in recipes though). Just a little mayo mixed into Jim's mustard may make it acceptable and still save some cholesterol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did better today with the mustard. I used the brown mustard, just a smidgeon this time, instead of the Dijon. The tomato and lettuce helped moisturize the sandwich and he was fine with it.

      Delete
  4. You seem like such a good cook, this won't be much of a problem once you get it worked out. Gerry had a cholesterol issue a couple of years ago, cut out red meat, soft drinks and ate oatmeal everyday, started eating mostly fruits and veggies. Just those small changes brought it down in less than six months, no drugs, better eating. Be careful of the drugs, they just cause other problems that you have to take more drugs for. We have been through this with Gerry's mother and she barely knows who we are now and has the mind of a four year old...... You can eat right and stay healthy!! Live long, lots of gardening to do
    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tracey. Jim loved tonight's dinner. Nothing had butter, just a bit of olive oil in the panko coating on the baked chicken cutlets. I'm with you on the drug issue. Jim is opting for a low dose of something to bring down his triglycerides (he won't give up sugar). On the other hand, I'm not taking any drug when I can easily changed my diet. I want to lose more weight, so getting that stuff out of my diet will be great for my waistline. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't the vitamin regimine working on his tryglycerides.they took care of mine as effectively as the prescription meds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has worked to a great degree; but he wasn't taking enough of them. He has a habit of adjusting doses lower than recommended. Plus, he had stopped taking the red yeast rice as well. He's back on it now. That an alteration in his diet should help even more.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS WELCOME: