Instagram

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Best ever peach cobbler recipe


Finished these test tiles yesterday in between entertaining the nine year old grand kids for a few hours. We played pick up sticks, they swam and took delight in using the pool tool to skim the leaves off the top of the pool, got a dulcimer lesson and played with Nana's crystals and other goodies in my meditation room - mainly the noise makers - drums, mini cymbals, tuning forks, flutes, penny whistles etc. After skimming the leaves McKenna announced that I should have the neighbor cut down their offending trees. Ah, the innocence of youth!

McKenna also helped me finish up sieving one of the slip tests. She loves doing craft work and I think she's may enjoy working with me in the studio in short sessions when she gets back from summer camp. I'm not sure how long a nine year old's attention span would be in a working studio; but then, there's always the pool, all the musical instruments, games and the TV as an alternative source of amusement and wonder.

Our daughter-in-law Nicole, got my dulcimers tuned using an app on her cell phone. Who knew!! She also downloaded it to my iPod touch, which is a good thing since I couldn't find my old electronic tuner.

After we had lunch and they all left for home, I  organized a few things in the studio, like getting some bags of stains in nice jars and marked, and doing a bit of cleanup. Later we all met up at the local Mexican restaurant for dinner. Boy, was I ready for that weak but every so cooling and satisfying grande margarita.

It was a fun filled and productive and also tiring day. Nine years old have a lot of energy and assume that nana (me), has it as well. I could only wish that were so; but I held up pretty well.

This morning I need to cut down my potato plants,  which allows the potatoes to harden.  In three days they be ready to harvest. I also need to fertilize some of the veggies and then I'll be off to the studio for a day of organization and some cleanup. These latest test tiles need to dry a bit more, but should be ready for firing tomorrow. With these 100 degree days, they dry pretty quickly in the sun.

One of the blog readers asked for the recipe for the best ever peach cobbler, so here it is if anyone else wants to give it a try. It's an easy, no fail recipe if you follow the simple instructions; and oh so delicious!

BEST EVER PEACH COBBLER

1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups sugar, divided
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 4 full cups of fresh peach or nectarine slices  - peeled and cut in wedges about 3/4" thick at the widest part.
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • Ground cinnamon or nutmeg (optional) (I gave a light sprinking of cinnamon on top).

  • OPTIONAL: you can also add some chopped walnuts, pecans or almonds if you like some added crunch.  
    1. Melt the butter in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
    2. Combine flour, 1 cup of the sugar, baking powder, and salt; add milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened, and no more. Pour the batter over butter (do not stir).
    3. Bring remaining 1 cup sugar, peach slices, and lemon juice to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly; then pour over batter (do not stir). If you choose to use some nuts you can sprinkle them over the peach mixture now. Sprinkle with cinnamon, or nutmeg if desired.
    4. Bake at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve cobbler warm or cool.
    You can serve it with some ice cream on the side, but it really doesn't need it. It's an excellent cobbler without it.

    2 comments:

    1. I was interested in seeing your recipe as I have one that I think is 'the best'! Well, guess what, I have exactly the same recipe and have been enjoying it for years--maybe 20 years! Small world!
      Gay Judson in San Antonio, TX

      ReplyDelete
    2. Wish I had found this recipe 20 years ago!

      ReplyDelete

    COMMENTS WELCOME: