Instagram

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Earthenware eye candy

Tiny test kiln is firing again and I'm holding my breath on this one. I'm so used to soda/salt firing with slips and wadded pots, that I have to get into an earthenware mindset when I make and slip this new work - something I didn't do with some of these first pots.

 Love this piece by Johannes Peters. He brings looseness to a whole other level - not so much with this piece, but with most of his other work that I've seen. wish I could have an iota of that kind of relaxed throwing.

I'm firing the tiny test kiln again with a few pots. Glazing yesterday, I suddenly was faced with a pot with white slip and glaze all the way to the base.  So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my clear glaze is stiff enough to not go walkies on to the kiln shelf. I guess wadding is an option in the future, but today's risky firing for one or two of the pots is for information.

At this point, I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to just go ahead and decorate the rest of the pots and fire them in the large kiln since the kiln repair guy has been a no show for a couple of months.  I fired it once in this condition and the kiln made it through OK,  but I'm concerned that because there's so little brick left in one area at the very base of the lowest ring, that the lack of insulation may be problematic on the casing.

Yesterday I also did some organization with my jewelry and lapidary supplies. That only came about because I was searching for a part for my Foredom drill, which I never did find; but at least one box got emptied, some things sorted and others put away. It's time to think about selling some of these rocks and and casting equipment either locally or on ebay. Time to join the local rock club.


No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS WELCOME: