Instagram

Monday, June 27, 2016

Home Sweet Home

My surgeon pushed my walking on full weight on my healing fractured leg up a few weeks,  so I decided to home home a little over a week ago. I can walk a lot on my own in the house, but uusally use the cane when heading down the steps and while in the garden.

I was amazed at how OK the garden looked other than a lot of weeds and a huge amount of lettuce that was about 18" high and going to seed , as well as a few other spent veggies that had to be pulled. My good friend Kay came over to help me Monday and it was amazing how much we got done in a short time in the veggie garden. We both weeded and I planted while Kay hauled off the weeds and other debris.

Since then I've been gardening a bit every day, but those 3 hr sessions for a few days proved to be too much and my aching leg kept waking me at night. So now, I'm doing a bit less each day and spreading it out in two sessions or so.

Today was my easiest day in this 90 degree weather. In the morning I pulled some weeds and planted the last rose and before dinner, I did some hand watering, a bit more weeding, harvested some broccoli, fava beans and some berries and staked a few of the tomatoes. Even at 5:30 it was too hot out there to stay much longer, and I still had to go in and cook dinner.

My barn has been infested with rats, and that's the other job I've been doing - trapping them. Definitely not my favorite thing to do, but they've been so destructive in there getting into bags of expensive organic fertilizers, and even eating through plastic bottles of olive oil, ketchup, knocking light bulbs and cans and other things off shelves, etc. etc. Enough was enough! There's going to be a huge cleanup in there once I get caught up with the rest of my garden work, and get enough of these destructive vermin out of there.

Pottery is not even on my mind at the moment other than wondering how in the world I'll ever be able to get back to it in this place. The best I could hope for is trying to make a minimal, dismal, damp, low ceiling 100 year old basement with no reasonable way to drain water, work somehow with minimal storage, minimal tools and work surfaces. The rat infested barn, was a possibility but it's so open and I can't invest in closing it up to make it work, just to make a few pots now and then.  At least the basement has water coming in, but no inexpensive way to get it out, and it's also cool down there this time of year; but would be too cold in the winter.

Part of me is thinking this just may be the time to hang it all up; but maybe I'll feel differently when I am healed and can get the house organized and sells a lot of furniture and other items that don't fit this smaller house and garage.

Hope everyone is doing well. I haven't been reading blogs much the past month, so I guess I'll have to, to catch up with how you all are doing!

9 comments:

  1. Todd Schuster6/27/16, 8:58 AM

    Hi June. Sorry to hear what you went through with the accident and broken leg, but I am glad you are on the mend and doing better. Missed hearing from you. Hope Sean & Erin and families are well. I'm actually watching a rerun of Big Jim's Card Sharks on BZZR and also GSN. We miss him terribly as do you, but I loved watching him on that show as well as Sale of the Century. The very best to you and keep us posted on how you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps you could find affordable studio space to rent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear you are up and about. You are definitely the energizer bunny!
    I haven't touched clay in over a year now, and I have to say I only miss it a little bit from time to time. The energy and the time clay requires, not to mention the space you need is just beyond my abilities these days. I'm not sure I will ever go back to it. But I have been unpacking my stashes of fabrics for "someday" and really starting to see an urge to make something in the way of fiber art. You can always find a way to create with your hands that doesn't require clay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi June, Perhaps you could find a community studio to work in or assist at a college or high school? You have so much to share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you're doing poorly. I found your blog through Fetish Ghost today. I've used June Perry Red (from J. Britt's book) on several items. I'll tell you, physical injury is wearing, the pt too. Once you're through, your energy and attitude will pick up. I say this as one who had her foot cut off by a car years back. That's how I ended up working with clay. I'm currently getting fitted for yet another new foot (number ten over nineteen years, but the last one lasted five years - yes!), and that process has been going on since the first week of May. Here we are, let's see what's still fun. Best to you - Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  6. hang in there June, it's taken me over a year for my knee to heal without any surgery due to cost; I have running water in my basement and I carry out a small flat bowl when it's full of clay and dump it outside, I use a space heater in winter and the fan part in summer to keep the air blowing on my face to keep me cool and I only hand build so I don't need much room, a yard sale by appointment might be an option so you don't have to move anything and safer if you ask someone to be there with you. happy fourth to you, thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. June.. I am so happy to hear you are 'more' on the mend. It has been a lonnng time since I commented on your page, and quite a while keeping up with the life of the blogging world. In looking back at your posts, and being a Canadian, I do remember your husband, his work here, and I am sorry to hear of his passing. I hope all quickly improves for you and you can,if you choose, get back to clay.. Cheers and well wishes from Alberta. Trish

    ReplyDelete

  8. June.. I am happy to see that you are home and mending very well. Home is a good place to be. It has been a long time since I commented on your posts, and a long time since I posted on my own page. In reading your previous posts, it finally dawned on me, as a Canadian, that I realized who your husband was and was sad to hear of his passing. I remember his work here in Canada. Your life has certainly altered, but you are doing so well moving forward. Continued strength as you heal and your blogger world looks forward to more enjoyable reads from you. :).. Cheers from Alberta.. Trish


    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi June. So glad to hear that you are doing much better after your accident. I have been following your blog for several years but had never written until now. I hope you're summer is a time of healing for you after the year you've had. I was the one who interviewed Jim back in 2005 for a book on game show hosts that I sent him in the mail. He was so kind to do that interview and I so enjoyed it! Take care and hang in there. Hope you get to do more pottery work soon. Jim really praised your pottery skills!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS WELCOME: