Instagram

Friday, August 02, 2013

Unloaded the tiny test kiln this morning. There's a lot of information on these few tiles. The horizontal bands are various slips and on the 2 larger tiles, there are 7 vertical lines of various clear and amber/honey glazes with 2.2% black iron oxide, another couple with 4.5% burnt umber, and my clear base with 3% rutile. I wanted to see how the clear bases with burnt umber, or black iron or rutile would modify these slips. The fourth vertical line from the left is my straight clear, so you can get an idea of how much these others modify and change the original slip colors.

I think my honey glaze might give me what I want if I lower the Black Iron Oxide to 1%.   Some of these toned down greens look very promising as a base slip - quiet enough as a base to allow brighter slip accents to pop a bit. I want to test some of these glazes over some blue slips as well. The low iron addition seems to give the results I'm looking for - just need to lower it a bit.

The air is better this morning, so I need to get to our sons ranch and harvest the veggies in their garden and make a couple of stops for some pick up grocery shopping. Hopefully I can squeeze in an hour or two of studio time when I get back. It's going to be iffy.                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS WELCOME: