Instagram

Friday, May 14, 2010

Have we got irises



It's been a busy couple of days - all day trip to Asheville for clay only to find, for the 3rd time in a row, that they're out of my clay. So I back ordered some and hopefully they'll have it in another week when I'll need it. In the meantime, the studio has to wait till  I finish planting this garden.

Yesterday I finished the second rototilling of the knoll next to my gallery and today I planted most of it with two types of corn, pickling cucumbers, summer and winter squash, zucchini, pole beans, radishes and nasturtiums which are planted to attract the white flies that can decimate squash plants. As soon as I catch my breath I'll try to cover the corn with remay. Last year critters ate a large portion of my first planting, so this year, I'm covering it till they get big enough that the crows won't pull them out and the bunnies or whoever won't munch on them.

Jim is off getting the car serviced and hopefully coming home with some nice fresh salmon for dinner. The garden is giving us lettuce and radishes for our salad as well as kale and some herbs. This past week everything has taken off in the garden. Potatoes are all up and the flower beds are full of color with the first roses,clematis, peonies, irises, dianthus, and other perennials blooming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS WELCOME: